Monday, November 26, 2012

Turkey Chowder

I made turkey chowder tonight, which is a family tradition after Thanksgiving and Christmas. I chopped up too many potatoes, so then added more carrots--and ended up doubling the recipe. I used to do that when our four children were at home, but now there's only Chuck and me here. I'll give some soup to friends tomorrow, while we'll have some for the next few days.


Turkey Chowder
1 ½ Tbsp. butter
1 onion, thinly chopped
(optional ¼ cup chopped green pepper—I don’t use)
1 ½ cups chicken or turkey broth
2 cups diced carrots (about 3 medium)
3 cups peeled, diced potatoes (about 3 medium)
1 cup thinly sliced celery
½ tsp. salt
3 cups cooked, diced turkey or chicken
1 17-oz. can cream-style corn or pour in frozen corn kernels
½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
½ + tsp. Mrs. Dash
some drops of Tabasco Sauce
3 cups milk

  1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter, and sauté the onion (and pepper) until they are tender.
  2. Add the broth and carrots. Heat the chowder to boiling, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer the chowder for 5 minutes.
  3. Add the potatoes, celery, and salt. Simmer the chowder, covered for another 10 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
  4. Stir in the turkey, corn, other spices, and milk. Heat the chowder thoroughly, but do not let it come to a boil.
Brody, Jane. Jane Brody's Good Food Book. NY: W. W. Norton and Company, 1985. 347.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Sounds yummy. I will make some this coming weekend with leftover chicken.
Thanks for sharing. ;)