While re-reading the FF "mulleygrubs" poem, I decided that I needed to learn more about its author, Ginger Andrews. She was born in 1956 in Oregon and works as a janitor and cleaning lady; she has also won many awards for her poetry. Her two books of poetry are out of print. A search of the internet leads one to sites featuring her poems, especially Garrison Keillor's The Writer's Almanac. Here is another of her humorous poems about Thanksgiving. This one is about the approaching holiday season (like on MINDIGHT of Thanksgiving Day!):
“Pre-Holiday PMS,” by Ginger Andrews, from An Honest Answer (Story Line Press).
“Pre-Holiday PMS,” by Ginger Andrews, from An Honest Answer (Story Line Press).
I don't want to be thankful this year.
I don't want to eat turkey and I could care
if I never again tasted
your mother's cornbread stuffing.
I hate sweet potato pie. I hate mini marshmallows.
I hate doing dishes while you watch football.
I hate Christmas. I hate name-drawing.
I hate tree-trimming, gift-wrapping,
and Rudolph the zipper-necked red-nosed reindeer.
I just want to skip the whole merry mess—
unless, of course, you'd like to try
to change my mind. You could start
by telling me I'm pretty and leaving me
your charge cards
and all your cash.
4 comments:
Funny!
I have both of her books of poetry and they're awesome. But "An Honest Answer" is my favorite. Great poem!
LOL - I love it :)
Marion, I just ordered "An Honest Answer" and so you've made me even more eager to look at it!
Post a Comment