Thursday, July 19, 2012

Salt Lake City Library

Salt Lake City Library to the right; City County Building in the center.

This past Sunday MJ and I visited the Salt Lake Library, a six-story building surrounded by gardens with some statues.  I particularly liked the children reading on the lawn. Go here to read more about this amazing library. Part of its description: "Salt Lake City's Main Library, designed by internationally-acclaimed architect Moshe Safdie, embodies the idea that a library is more than a repository of books and computers; it reflects and engages the city's imagination and aspirations. The building, which opened in February 2003, is double the previous space with 240,000 square feet for more than 500,000 books and other materials, and room for the collection to grow. The six-story curving, walkable wall embraces the public plaza, with shops and services at ground level, reading galleries above, and a 300-seat auditorium. A multi-level reading area along the glass lens at the southern facade of the building looks out onto the plaza with stunning views of the city and Wasatch Mountains beyond. A roof-top garden, accessible by walking the crescent wall or the elevators, offers a 360 degree view of the Salt Lake Valley. Spiraling fireplaces on four floors resemble a column of flame from the vantage of 200 East and 400 South. The Urban Room between the library and the crescent wall is a space for all seasons, generously endowed with daylight and open to magnificent views."

Interior of Salt Lake City Library
The books are on the left. To the right on the bottom floor are shops and above right on each floor are meeting or reading rooms.
 
MJ and I walked up all the flights of stairs to the rooftop where we could walk around seeing beautiful views of Salt Lake City. You can see the elevators on the left for those who do not want to walk.


Old card catalog holding greeting cards in the Library Shop
And you who know me, know that I bought cards in this shop. There were wonderful ones related to reading! I will visit here whenever I get to travel to Salt Lake City again.

3 comments:

Terri said...

YAY! So fun to see the city of my birth in this photos! Aren't the mountains beautiful!

libraryperson said...

I am always interested in seeing libraries as I am a retired librarian. I do enjoy your blog - Vicki in Ottawa Canada

Nancy said...

What a fabulous library. I love the idea of reusing the card catalog. I remember being so sad when they got rid of the one a the Sunnyvale library. (Though now I really appreciate being able to access it online from home.)