Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Five


Kathrynzg brings today's Friday Five to RevGalBlogPals:

Tell us what you are up to, share the way you're pacing your week, ask for prayer or offer it, seek liturgy suggestions or hit the conversations going on over at Ye Holy Facebookee.
For verily, verily we are all in this together.
1. Not being a pastor, I have less liturgical preparation for this Holy Week. Instead, I am anticipating the arrival of family today: oldest son DC with his wife AA and our GRAND baby Avery--and youngest daughter MJ with her boy friend CM. Anticipation, cleaning (not enough), and preparation for all this company, while missing our other two children and their partners.

2. Hot Cross Buns! I fondly recall my mother sometimes baking Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday. I've done it a few times before, but decided this year to make them for the company and my Friday morning Renovare Group. I found a recipe here, but made twice as many as recommended by the recipe, which made a better-sized roll for me! It only took about 3 1/2 hours to bake them, counting the two times for rising.

3. I've been surprised by the invitation I have received in the last two sessions of our Wednesday Lectio Divina group, as we have meditated on small portions of the gospel from the Lectionary. Both times I have received a strong invitation to travel the journey with Jesus as one of his followers--being swayed by the cheering of the crowds on Palm Sunday; the misunderstanding of Jesus' mission; and being consumed with fear and doubt at his arrest and crucifixion. I am trying to stay in the moment, so I will be surprised at the early Easter Vigil on Sunday.


4. I volunteered to read scripture at the Good Friday service at All Saints Episcopal Church, so I will be gone during the dinner hour tonight. In preparation for that, I am making a chicken and vegetable meal in the crockpot this afternoon.


5. For Lent I am reading daily the selections from Small Surrenders by Emilie Griffin and Simplifying the Soul by Paula Huston. However, I have not read any of the devotionals for Holy Week, so I will spend time doing that after I post this Friday Five.

No comments: