Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Kick in the Butt

I don't know that I "really needed" to get a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, but I can see that it has pushed me to get more exercise. The heat and humidity deter me from walking here, but that is not all-year-round--just now (until October). After walking in the mall this morning and then going to Splash Aerobics at the YWCA, I appreciate the physical activity for today.

So on this last Saturday in May, I am going to list what I am grateful for, some of which is due to my illness:
  • Joining the YWCA and attending water exercise classes.
  • Having a walking friend on Saturday mornings at the mall. Even when she doesn't join me, I walk! I also appreciate my walking friend for Sunday nights.
  • Getting in to see the rheumatologist, Dr. P, so quickly. I have already had two appointments with him, while the other physician scheduled me for my first appointment on August 8, which I cancelled.
  • Being diagnosed with RA now, rather than 15-30 years ago, when the only analgesic to relieve pain was aspirin. Lots of research has been done, especially in the last decade.
  • Husband CB reading How to Eat Away Arthritis, even though it is unscientific, which usually stops him in his tracks. In a week or so, we will both try the fasting diet, which sounds strenuously healthy and should helps us lose weight, if nothing else.
  • RA keeps motivating me to meditate more frequently. This is really from God's nudges. The old adage that the more you pray, the more you want to, is true. I look forward to sitting at least twice a day for 20 minutes, but have been doing that more often, too.
  • I really like meditating with the Equanimity app on my Ipod Touch. It is lovely to be invited into the silence with a gentle gonging bell, which also ends the time I have chosen.
  • MJ flying home from her semester in Spain on TUESDAY!
  • Seeing son BJ for about 15 minutes yesterday, as he dropped off his hyper Springer Spaniel Troy to spend the weekend with us. BJ and friends are renting a house on the beach in Port Aransas for this Memorial Day weekend.
  • Troy is a loving dog, who is keeping Maisie more active than usual.
  • Yesterday (May 27) was the 42nd anniversary of our first date! (Really, the anniversary of our "second" date, because the result of our initial dating period the year before was dislike.)

7 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm going to try that meditation app. Also, I'm reading that first Connolly book and can't put it down! Probably should have waited until tomorrow's sermon was completely finished, though.

Nancy said...

I'll be interested to hear how the change in diet goes. Changing diet certainly helped my migraines, so I'm optimistic for you!

Unknown said...

The one diet thing that mattered for me (still does) is how food and meds interact. Remember I'm out here if you need to email.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to look at your diagnosis. Gratitude! Thanks for reminding me to say 'thank you' today.
Andie

Terri said...

Wonder if I can get the equanimity app for my iPad.....? Hope the diet helps.

Fran said...

Jan, I've been thinking of you and praying for you. I'm glad to see you showing gratitude here, it has to be hard to do so, but there you are.

Keep at it Jan, keep at it. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hard to imagine you and Chuck ever disliking each other. Thanks for the RA wisdom. No bad situation that love won't cure, be it love of others or of self. Having problems lately with the latter, so it was a blessing to read those things for which you're thankful, including things related to RA.