Monday, April 25, 2011

Spain Trip: Madrid (day 1)

I left for my visit to Spain and to see my youngest daughter MJ on Wednesday, March 30. I arrived in Madrid in the late morning of Thursday, March 31. Although I had stressed out about how to manage being alone in Madrid, the 10 hours on my own (until MJ arrived from Granada) went quite well. I took a taxi to my hotel; rested a little and then walked around on my own.

I walked through a shopping area, past the Opera House,
to (what I learned later was) the Presidential Palace.

This is a garden in front of the Presidential Palace.

Street signs in Madrid are on corners of buildings, made out of tiles.

MJ arrived at our hotel around 9 pm and then we went out to dinner at a tapas bar. I was introduced to Tinto de Verano, which became a nightly ritual for MJ and me.
  • Tinto de Verano Red wine mixed with...
    • ...Lemon Fanta (or equivalent) The most common and the nicest. To make sure you get this, ask for 'tinto con limon'.
We ate Tortilla Espanola together, which is a potato and egg omelette. I ate it a few other times, but this first one was the best of all!

No doubt about it, the Tortilla Espanola or Spanish Omelet is the most commonly served dish in Spain. It is also called Tortilla de Patata or Potato Omelet. Bars and cafés serve it as a tapa or appetizer, but it is often served as a light dinner in Spanish homes.


4 comments:

Fran said...

One of my favorite meals, in Espana and otherwise.

Lovely!

Unknown said...

Margaret We just do not understand you did NOT encourage Terry and I to come to Spain to see you! HOWEVER we do under stand Jan (you dear) MOM being asked to come....

Well may we will make the list next you go forth to see the world...!?!


T & D

Terri said...

oh my...I have never had that dish but it sounds (and looks) fabulous! So good to hear about your trip.

The Bug said...

That looks REALLY yummy - I'll have to be on the lookout for it if I'm ever in an actual Spanish restaurant.