Saturday, May 29, 2010

Ho'opono Cleansing Prayer and BP oil spill

The more I read about and look at pictures of the effects of the BP Oil Spill Disaster, the more I feel like weeping. Hubris and greed of mankind are dramatically showing results these days. This is no doubt helped by me living on the Gulf of Mexico, though no obvious effects have reached south TX yet. They're coming. . . .

There are multiple sites to look at, but these two have offended me this morning, so much so that I've already posted them on Facebook, which is an easy "click" maneuver.

NEW ORLEANS (AP)
Researchers say a newly discovered plume of thick oil in the Gulf of Mexico is nearing an underwater canyon, where it could poison the food chain for sea life in the waters off Florida.
width:200 and height: 120 and picwidth: 200 and pciheight: 120

That idiot Glenn Beck (who went to my high school in Bellingham, WA!!) is "orating" about the oil spill, saying it is no more than a "house fire"! Go here to read Steve Young's post on "The Huffington Post."

Feeling impotent in this situation, I am reminded of Marj Barlow telling us about her practice of cleansing news she reads or hears with the Ho'opono (Hawaiian) Way to Put Things Back into Balance. Marj said that when we know about a problem, it is our responsibility to "clear" it. So when Marj watches the news or reads the newspaper, she spends time cleaning whatever sad/bad thing she hears, sees, or reads:
  1. I am so sorry.
  2. I ask for forgiveness. (I ask forgiveness for myself, my family, my ancestors for contributing to this situation.)
  3. Please forgive me.
  4. I love; I want to love.
Marj said that the solution is to forgive and love. (So on my list to forgive are BP and Glen Beck. . . And maybe I could try to "cleanse" them??)

It is easier and quicker for me to rely on this prayer: Bless___________, change me. Still, the practice of Ho'opono melds into meditation and prayer.

We need much cleansing in ourselves and in our world!

4 comments:

Vicki Jamison said...

Jan - thank you. I posted something yesterday about the Tea Parties, Libertarianism and Christianity and the first two replies I got were so filled with hatred and meanness that I deleted my post altogether because my heart can't stand the pain. There is so much right now that makes me so sad when I just feel the need to love. I really don't want to allow all of the ugliness to steal my joy. So thank you for the cleansing prayer. Love is all you need! :-)

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

So very true. And beautifully stated.

Cynthia said...

Thank you for the cleansing prayer. We hold onto so much we don't even realize, nor the effects on our spirits, bodies, behavior and attitudes.

ROBERTA said...

hi jan,
not sure how i missed this important post from last month but glad i found it:) i love this prayer which will help me to stop ruminating on distressing news stories & remind me to look at what part i have played in these areas ...