Thursday, May 27, 2010

May 27, 1969


Were you alive in 1969? What were you doing in 1969?

On May 27, 1969, I left a poem entitled "People" by Yvetushenko on the windshield of CB's '57 Chevy that was parked on a hill going up to Western Washington State College in Bellingham, WA. He later called me and we spent the evening in the "music room" up at the college. After that we started dating regularly, and we got married 2 1/2 years later.

What is rather odd is that we had three dates in the fall of our freshman year in college, but did not like each other too much. I was very shy, and CB later told me that he thought I was acting "cold, disinterested, and superior." There must have been a lot of silence between us, as CB was/is not much of a talker anyway.

Somehow the way was opened on this date for a relationship to form. Maybe the poem helped deny that first impression CB had of me as it begins with the line, "No people are uninteresting."

7 comments:

The Bug said...

Happy Anniversary! I had just turned 5 in 1969, so I wasn't thinking about romance just yet LOL.

Terri said...

I was 12 in 1969...what a delightful love story....

altar ego said...

I was 12 years-old. I visited my grandparents in NYC that summer (as I did every summer) and we went to see the movie Romeo and Juliet. I feel in love with it. Bought the record. Memorized portions of it (and I can still recite a bunch of those!). That was my love story that year. Not nearly as personal as yours.

Nancy said...

I remember going to see the musical "Hair" in 1969. We saw a production of it last week at UC Santa Cruz. The one nude scene was big deal in 1969--compare that to the repeated nude scenes in today's version! How things have changed! (I'll admit to being 19 in 1969.)

Jan said...

I guess I could have been babysitting everyone except Nancy--she and I could have been together! I was 18 when I started dating CB and turned 19 by the end of the year.

Sherry Peyton said...

I was in college. What a lovely memory Jan. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Blessings on this day!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This is a very sweet story. I'm so glad you shared it. And I love the Yevtushenko poem.

In May of 1969, I was 10 and a half, and I was finishing up 5th grade, which was a dreadful year for me. But in June of 1969, I started writing my first "novel," so that's a good memory.