Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wednesday Wanderings

My trip to New Mexico starts tomorrow. I still need to pack. With weather forecasts of high temperatures ranging from upper 70s F. to mid-50s F., I need to pack various clothes for layering.
  • When I was leaving from the voting site for the local run-off elections, a lady stopped my car. She excitedly told me that she loved the color (light metallic green) and had the same shade in her eye shadow!
  • I was surprised and semi-appalled that there is a NEW study out that advocates the benefits of breastfeeding--and that there will be less spent on healthcare if babies are breastfed for at least the first six months of their lives. The benefits of breastfeeding were so great and numerous when I was first pregnant 31 years ago that I nursed that baby (DC) . . . .so what is NEW now??
  • If all goes well tomorrow, NKE and I will arrive at the Albuquerque airport at just about the same time in the afternoon. This is exciting!
  • NKE and I remained friends since we were 12 because we wrote frequent letters to each other. I remember that on the ship ride (on a Navy ship, not a "cruise" ship) from Japan to San Francisco in 1964, I wrote a daily letter to NKE that was pages and pages long. Oh, the angst of being an adolescent! She once told me that when the pile of letters arrived in her dad's office in Japan, he called her and she rode her bike to his office to get them more quickly. I wonder if letters like that are even exchanged any more.
  • I have a poem ready to be posted tomorrow, but am unsure if or when I will post again. Perhaps I will find a computer and an opportunity somewhere on this short trip!

4 comments:

angela said...

I'd like to join you in the desert! I love the open spaces--and Albuquerque seen from the top of the Sandias...

I LOVE to get a handwritten letter. I had the same kind of friendship through high school with someone I met in jr. high. It was nice to have someone to think out loud with...

concretegodmother said...

letters like that are the BEST EVER, perhaps even more so now because of their increasing rarity. maybe we should start a handwritten letter club.

i've only had good experiences in nm. i had the best bowl of green chili ever in the albuquerque airport. may your trip be a delight!

altar ego said...

Blessings on your journey and have a wonderful birthday!

My husband insists that the people I "know" through the internet are not my friends, but pen-pals. I remember having a pen-pal ages ago. We actually did meet several times and are still in touch. We attended each others weddings, too! Anyway, I have one friend who still prefers to write the old fashioned way, and my Mom writes letters, but it does appear to be in danger of extinction. Sad! Maybe we should institute a national letter-writing day!

Jan said...

Letter Writing Day would be wonderful! Maybe we'll have to start a blogging day in honor of that.

I'm off to the airport for Albuquerque now~!