
I am remembering that I am an introvert and need time alone to regain energy. That is what is hopefully happening right now!
The different groups of people that I have been with today are usually enjoyable--on more days than just this one. Having four various events on the same day is overwhelming. (Here's further confirmation that I was NOT meant to be a minister.)
Last week while I was in New Mexico, a friend suddenly died of a stroke. Her husband asked me to speak at her memorial service which was today. So this morning, I was honored to attend her internment and then this afternoon be at Helen's memorial service, which was followed by a reception.
In the middle of these two events, CB and I attended a lunch at a local, casual restaurant. Friends of son DC and wife AA came down to Corpus Christi for this weekend, with their one-year old daughter. They kindly asked their friends and friends' parents to come to lunch. Somehow it had to be fit in before the memorial service! So CB came in his suit and I in my dress to sit outside at picnic tables, with everyone else in shorts. It was fun, but rushed.
Helen's service was beautiful and included Eucharist. It touched me greatly, partly because today would be my mother's birthday. April 24 is always special for me due to that. Now Helen's memory is entwined with my mother's from this day forward.
I felt overwhelmed when I got home from that, especially knowing that in another hour we will be going to a monthly retiree dinner with CB's friends and their spouses. I am in the process of making a salad to take to this. (And we can leave early, using DC and AA's visit as an "excuse;" which is true as we want to see them!)
It has really helped me to reflect on this here. Both CB and I are introverts, so we're in this together!
4 comments:
As an introvert, who has learned how to be extroverted, I understand the exertion this takes and the need to recoop...glad you could do all of this, hope you find the solitude you need.
Jan, the roller coaster stress of a parish pastor’s agenda, maybe outside your comfort zone.
I discern that you are and have been for a long time a Minister of the Gospel.
Is one calling of a higher order than the other? I don’t think so!
Dr. M & I might bust a gasket (whatever that means) if we had that much to do in one WEEKEND, much less one day! One scheduled event a day please!
This is my way of saying I understand - and hopefully you'll have plenty of decompression time.
I can so relate! Many people are surprised to learn that I am an introvert...because I have an extrovert persona that has been useful to me. I'm wondering if it may be time to lay that aside, somewhat. Doing a lot of Enneagram work.
And in the meantime, a day like the one you had would cause me to feel SMASHED. I would have to go to bed. Golly.
Post a Comment