
My cousin (really my mother's cousin) Margaret just called me from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where I am traveling to on Tuesday, September 30. She is graciously planning events for us to attend and was asking how well I can walk and/or climb stairs after my knee arthroscopy. What's also exciting is that she asked her family to celebrate her birthday on October 2 in Bannf! I have always wanted to go to that beautiful area of the Rocky Mountains!
Bannf, Alberta, CanadaMy underlying urge to visit Cousin Margaret was to get her to tell me family stories--I even bought a digital voice recorder for that purpose. I am realizing she is welcoming me into her family so as to help me know that they are all my family, too. I'll be meeting her children and grandchildren, too, whom I've only seen pictures of.
I will visit in Calgary until October 9 when I will fly to Seattle to see daughter AE and her partner KA. This way I'll spend the weekend with them there, when they are off work. This lonely only child suddenly has a lot of family to visit up north.
It will be a shock to return to hot weather again on October 14!
7 comments:
Oh, Jan, you're going to love it. We drove to Jasper, Alberta two years ago, it the scenery is stunning.
I can't wait to hear about your trip- first of all, what a gift of family and a chance to learn so much, meet new relatives and more.
Then Bannf!! I have always longed to go there!
Have a wonderful time! Wave to the north of you if you have a chance!
:)
Have a wonderful trip to that part of Canada. Banff is absolutely breath-taking! Safe travels.
I've always wanted to go there too. Jan, I'm excited to see your photos. I'm as happy as if it were me taking the trip.
The family connection simply makes a good thing even more wonderful-er.
Happy trails, Jan! I just remembered now that you asked me if I lived anywhere near Calgary ... No ... I'm near Toronto. I went through Calgary on a train 22 years ago ... Was blown away by the Rockies in the distance...Banff is gorgeous -- the mountains RIGHT THERE ... It's huge in ski season ... Don't think you'll encounter any snow on this trip ... Winter can be pretty ferocious out that way, but we haven't had any freak snowstorms yet ... ! Have a fantastic trip!
I do hope you collect many family stories. Like you, my parents are both deceased and there are stories I will never hear. My aunties are quizzed at any opportunity.
Post a Comment