I still remember my last priest and spiritual director saying that "God's will is God's Presence." I do not believe God's Presence is promoting war, but the the Holy One is there whether I acknowledge that or not.
The question is not WHY (It is God's will), but WHO IS WITH ME/US??
And from comments, I must add what Fran wrote:
God's will is about love for all of God's children.
God initiates all and we either respond. Or not.
God initiates all and we either respond. Or not.
15 comments:
Sorry to swear on your blog, but it is the only language I have for that woman and her vile speech.
God's will is about love for all of God's children. God initiates all and we either respond. Or not.
So this "God's will" bullsh*t that they spout is really about "God loves us better."
Which is really bull...
Sorry, I am so angry.
Thanks for this post Jan. Thank you.
Jan - you are kind to use my words. I do believe this to be true, which is why I find the kind of faith that bashes and belittles antithetical to the Jesus I know.
Peace to you beautiful Jan.
And healing!
Jan, thank you for posting this. I am terribly concerned about these statements as well.
yes...sigh...
Yup, what Fran said.
Yes, stating that the Alaska Pipeline being God's Will is ... gross.
Amen!
Many people are quite disturbed by her usuing this reference. I get very afraid when people start using God as their prop to justify their actions. Beware, this one is highly immature in my opinion.
There was a great article in US Catholic recently about discernment and "God's will." One of the people interviewed voiced a preference for "God's desire for me" rather than "God's will" that seems to be etched in stone. God's calling continues through a lifetime.
I got to your blog via your booklist on Librarything. We read many of the same friends apparently and I see Fran and Ruth are friends of yours on your blogspot! Small world? Blog?
Anyway, the Greek word there we throw around for "god's will" is thelo, as in the Lord's Prayer, genetheto to theloma-sou. [Sorry for my my transliteration and no I am NOT going to learn to transliterate, people should learn the Greek!]Anyway, the word means "wish", like in the Lord's Prayer, it might well be translated "May your wish come true for earth as it is in heaven." Once we use the word "wish" rather than WILL, the silliness of the god's will issue disappears. Remember too, it is the same word in the wedding ceremony in the older "traditional" services, "I will" is not an act of the WILL, but it is "that is my wish" or that is my desire. 99 out of 100 services of the church used to begin with "What do you 'will'" meaning "So, what do you want or wish by coming here...???" Certainly god does not wish war or death or any other such nonsense. God wishes only his best for all creation, even hell.
Glad to have discovered your blog AND Library.
As soon as the phrase "It's God's will that____..." leaves someone's lips, I put on my poncho, because I know the horsedump is about to flow.
Same old jihad, different flag.
I think you're mighty spritiually disciplined to be merely annoyed. I'm outraged by Palin's language. I have a lot to learn from you.
I just want to join the chorus and wish you peace and healing.
Every progressive Christian is troubled by the way Jesus and God are being hijacked.
It is painful and hurtful to use God in this way. We feel personally injured when we are told that we are not on God's side or not a true Christian because of our political beliefs.
Once again I am disgusted at the way our political parties have divied up our Christian values.
Amen to this post and all the comment! As quakerdave said: "Same old jihad, different flag!"
I just stumbled on this blog ...enjoying it! I'm always suspicious when one tries to assert some view as an absolute truth, whether they are a politician or a church official. The only thing *I* know for sure is that God is love.
Post a Comment