I can't get this Thomas Friedman editorial out of my mind, in the midst of grief and concern over Joe's death. Maybe I'm connecting stuff to the meditation upon Jonah 3 and 4 yesterday in our EFM class, where I realized our entire country needs to repent and turn around--and sacrifice. Give up using so much gas, less air conditioning (AAK--in Texas, too???), buying, consuming more than we need. . . We all would have come together after 9/11, but were not challenged to do so. Now we're fighting over side issues like a pig wearing lipstick when the economy is finally showing its true state of being.
I don't always agree with Friedman, but I think this editorial hits where it should about the next president. He ends with:
"The last president who challenged his base was Bill Clinton, when he reformed welfare and created a budget surplus with a fair and equitable tax program. George W. Bush never once — not one time — challenged Americans to do anything hard, let alone great. The next president is not going to have that luxury. He will have to ask everyone to do something hard — and I want to know now who is up to that task."
Go here to read the full article, which is entitled "No Laughing Matter."
7 comments:
I have read that...
We are lost as a nation, so many people don't want to make any sacrifices.
That is what the past 8 years have done- created a of spoiled children.
We got attacked, we were told to go shopping and buy houses, we did - leave us alone.
If I sound angry it because I am- what will become of us?
It's all scary as hell, isn't it?
Some people are willing to say this is the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. Others are able to admit it is simply the worst financial crisis ever.
I simply pray Obama will be elected because I don't think McCain can/will help us.
It is scary, and we all have to do our part to get out of this mess.
It is scary, and we all have to do our part to get out of this mess.
great article; thanks for the link
I read that too. And liked that particular paragraph.
I hope someone does ask us to step up and gives us some clear direction for how to do so.
Post a Comment