Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike is moving northeast!


"Hurricane Ike will continue to intensify before making landfall along the Gulf Coast in Texas late Friday. The storm has potential to cause widespread destruction, including in Houston and surrounding Harris County."
AccuWeather.com

Well, we're looking like we're going to be okay here in Corpus Christi, but those in the Houston and Galveston areas need our prayers! (Like Jody at Quotidian Grace) CB will not board up our windows after all. We continue to watch the weather sites to see what irrational Ike will do!

I worry about 23 year old son BJ and his dog Troy who live in northwest Houston. I am relieved that he's now talking about going to Austin.

MJ is happy that she can come home this weekend from San Antonio. This is the LAST weekend that she and her boy friend CS can be together. He leaves for Stanford University on Tuesday. It had been looking like she would have to stay in San Antonio in "safety" until now.

It's not time to relax for anyone on the Texas Gulf Coast yet. Watching, waiting, and praying.

9 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I wish it would just miraculously dissipate, even though I know it won't.

Praying for all in its path.

Unknown said...

Ike is just ugly!!!
Stay safe, you and yours.

Crimson Rambler said...

Jan, I have fond personal memories of the Romans text you quoted recently. I used to make communion visits to a retired priest who was quite disabled, partly by age, partly by lifelong alcoholism, partly by a catastrophic fall. These were always very taxing visits because he and his wife would both be three sheets in the wind, and lachrymose, and he would take his hearing aids out, so the words of the service had to be SHRIEKED at him, in competition with the shrieking of his missus...oh it was rare.
And one of his gambits in this condition was to announce that he was imminently going to die. Which is kind of a conversation stopper, even if you're not out of breath from all the shrieking, see above.
But one night I shrieked back, "Well, Bert, if we live, we live unto the Lord, and if we die, we die unto the Lord, whether we live therefore or die..."
and he came back at me, "We are the Lord's" -- and then he was so tickled at having capped the quotation that he decided he wouldn't die that night after all.
Whew!

Katherine E. said...

I'm holding you in my heart, Jan. If Ike turns and heads your way, remember you always have a place here!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Agreeing in prayer with you...

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, praying for all of you in the path...

Kate Morningstar said...

Praying for you and all in the path of the hurricane, Jan. And for your continued healing as well.

Sherry said...

I was happy to see that the storm turned northward from you but I imagine Houston will be getting it bad instead. There is no good outcome to this obviously. So glad you don't have to evacuate at least. And so glad your knee is coming along Jan. Best of luck and remain safe.

Billie Greenwood said...

relieved you're spared...praying for those in the path...