What is your religion?
Often people will ask, "What's your religion?" Usually they are looking for a denomination. Gandhi had a different reply, "You must watch my life, how I live, eat, sit, talk, behave in general. The sum total of all those in me is my religion."
7 comments:
Good answer.
I always have a hard time with that question. I've belonged to so many denominations. I prefer to think of myself as belonging to the Christian faith.
Wow, that's FANTASTIC.
Ah Gandhi. So good.
I like it! Several years ago now we were at a music festival (in NZ). Looking for somewhere to eat our dinner, a man sitting alone invited our family to sit at his table. A member of our family, aged about 8, opened the conversation with "What denomination are you?" Parents were astounded as it was not really the way we talked or framed things (we still don't know where it came from). He was a bit taken aback and then responded "Pentecostal I guess." Child cheerfully replied "Oh we start with P as well. We're Presbyterian." It was an unusual conversation starter and not one I'd recommend, but on that occasion it was effective as we went on to have an interesting chat. And as a clergy spouse I am frequently asked "which church" and it is encouraging to find that the Uniting Church has a positive community profile and that it can be an opener to conversations that get beyond the superficial. So I have mixed feelings and responses but the quote from Ghandi is excellent. Thanks
wonderful quote
well, Ghandi had a lot of good answers and insight....this one included....
Yes, Gandhi says it well. (and, of course he also walked the talk)
Post a Comment