Saturday, June 28, 2008

More about "welcome"

The image “http://www.pathwaysuu.org/images/cnvc.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
New website I've discovered: The Center for Non-Violent Communication. Marshall Rosenberg founded this center; Sebastian Moore in his amazing book The Contagion of Jesus cites him.

What an interesting site. I am most struck (at the moment) by "Spiritual Basis of Non-Violent Communication." From that web page, comes these quotes about what it means to give of ourselves:

"To me, giving of ourselves means an honest expression of what’s alive in us in this moment. It intrigues me why every culture asks upon greeting each other, “How are you?” It’s such an important question. What a gift it is to be able to know at any given moment what is alive in someone.

"To give a gift of one’s self is a manifestation of love. It is when you reveal yourself nakedly and honestly, at any given moment, for no other purpose than as a gift of what’s alive in you. Not to blame, criticize, or punish. Just “Here I am, and here is what I would like.” This is my vulnerability at this moment. To me, that is a way of manifesting love.

"And the other way we give of ourselves is through how we receive another person’s message. To receive it empathically, connecting with what’s alive in them, making no judgment. Just to hear what is alive in the other person and what they would like. So Nonviolent Communication is just a manifestation of what I understand love to be."

~~Marshall Rosenberg


This reminds me of my little posting about lectio about the word "welcome" and how that is paying attention--and "connecting with what's alive in them, making no judgment" as written above.

2 comments:

ROBERTA said...

Good morning Jan! Thanks to you i just spent the last hour poring over this link you've given us on peace! There is some great stuff there - thanks so much for bringing it to us....I love that we all learn from one another :)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm so glad you posted this. It relates to something that went on in my life this week. I don't want to go into too many details, except to say that this quotation helps me to stop picking at myself for a point of view I expressed to a couple of people. It's complicated. Just know that your post helped.