Tuesday, June 17, 2008

How God screams at us

Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer once found himself walking through the streets of Calcutta, so enraged by the poverty that he wanted to scream at God, “How can you allow such suffering?” Then he came to a painful realization: “In the suffering of the poor God was screaming at me, in fact at all of us and at our institutions and social systems that cause and perpetuate hunger, poverty, and inequality.”

Jack Nelson Pallmeyer, Hunger for Justice. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1980. vii.

4 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What an insightful quotation. Thank you for sharing it.

P.S. I loved today's savage chickens cartoon too.

Amalee Issa said...

Jan, and many thanks for your lovely comment on my blog too! and I visit your blog pretty much daily... I'm just trying to limit my comments to allow your other fans to star! God screaming? I shall never look at poverty any other way. Thank you Jan, for once more opening my eyes.

Amalee

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jan, for that wonderful quote. It's so in tune with where I am today.

Isaiah 58:6-7 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?"

ROBERTA said...

i just returned from an all day seminar on generational poverty so this quote was so appropriate! thanks....