Sunday, June 8, 2008

Faith=Risk=Trust

Have you ever heard of the book Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor? Today our priest read a marvelous quote about faith from that book. I've just ordered a used copy of the book online. (As if I need another book!) Here's the quote:

"I had arrived at an understanding of faith that had far more to do with trust than with certainty. I trusted God to be God even if I could not say who God was for sure. I trusted God to sustain the world although I could not say for sure how that happened. I trusted God to hold me and those I loved, in life and in death, without giving me one shred of conclusive evidence that it was so. While this understanding had the welcome effect of changing faith from a noun to a verb for me, it was an understanding that told me how far I had strayed from the center of my old spiritual map. (p. 170)"
~~Barbara Brown Taylor

That sounds like me so much!

The message in today's sermon was to risk trusting, like Matthew did when he followed Jesus, as Jairus did in asking for healing for his dead daughter, and as the woman bleeding for 12 years showed when she reached out to touch Jesus' robe. Risk!

  • Hope beyond hope
  • Home is the hope we carry with us, not the outcome we envision
  • No picture of what's ahead, but trusting that there is life there

"We ask you, Lord: what do you expect of me? And the Holy Spirit answers:
I pray in you
Dare to give your life
Dare to go that far"

(Brother Roger of Taizé)


12 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I have heard of that book, but then I forgot about it (if you know what I mean).

I love the Brother Roger quote, although it is challenging, isn't it?

Barbara B. said...

great thoughts!

Suzy said...

I just read that same quote somewhere else today! I will need to look up that book. Summer reading -- those long lazy hours on the back porch -- begins after Friday. Yippee!!

Diane M. Roth said...

very inspiring! I love BBT's writing and I keep looking at her book, but I'm kind of afraid of the message. what if I realize that I am very dissatisfied with my work???

let me know what you think.

Rev SS said...

I LOVE that book! I first read it a couple of years ago as my soul was being crushed, before leaving my last church. Reading it helped me heal and be ready for the beautiful place God led me to here.

Gannet Girl said...

Leaving Church was a RevGals discussion book some time ago, so I imagine you can scroll back and find the comments.

Jan said...

GG and SS, thanks for the tips about the book. I'll go back and search RevGals when I have time.

Ruth, Barb, Diane,and Suzy, I'll let you know about the book when I ever get it AND read it! (It sounds more uplifting than "The Shock Doctrine," which is my current book.)

Jennifer said...

I'm ambivalent about Leaving Church. Like all of BBT's books, it's well-written, and it's a very personal memoir. It's clearly written from a perspective of pain...

Yolanda said...

I haven't read this and may need to read it.

ROBERTA said...

that's funny jan that we both have quotes from the same prayer.......i guess it's true what they say about great minds.....

p.s. Loved Leaving Church!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Jan. It sounds like one for the stacks. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved that book. I think you will, too.