
Now this makes sense to me! In Vermont, Alexander Lee has founded a movement endorsing the use of clotheslines, which he calls Project Laundry List. He learned that
"One dryer, he knows today, eats up to $100 or more in power each year while emitting up to a ton of carbon dioxide. Collectively, America’s more than 80 million dryers annually burn 6 to 10 percent of all residential electricity - second only to refrigerators and the equivalent of 30 million tons of coal or the output of the nation’s 15 least productive nuclear reactors."
To read the rest of the article, go here.
Of course, one good thing about the dreadful HEAT in Texas is the ability to hang clothes out on the clothesline almost any and every day. Still, I also had clotheslines when I lived in RI and NJ, though I could not use them as frequently as in TX. My mother-in-law has used a clothesline in her basement for years and years--and she lives in WA State.
4 comments:
A clothesline in the basement! That's a good idea. I need to think about that.
I was just talking with an American friend last night and he was saying that the USA is a market ready for clothesline manufacturers. I DO love that picture of yours :)
I grew up with a clothesline and it was always great to pull in the sheets, fresh from the sun and wind.
I love using my clothesline. If it's warm enough even towels only take a few hours. And we always feel great about not using any gas/electricity.
Post a Comment