Monday, March 24, 2014

New Mystery Author (to me)

When I was at Book People (independent book store) in Austin on Friday, a "Book Person" worker asked me if I needed help as I wandered the mystery section. When he further queried who my favorite mystery authors were I could only think of two favorites: Louise Penny and Jacqueline Winspear. He took me directly to Terry Shames, whom I had never heard of. Trusting this guy who seemed to be a reader, I bought two copies, always wanting to support independent books stores (even though I buy too much online).

I have read half of A Killing at Cotton Hill, "A Samuel Craddock Mystery." (I see on Amazon that the Kindle copy is only $2.99.) I haven't decided if I like this character as much as Armand Gamache or Maisie Dobbs, but I am enjoying his common sense and quirkiness. He is the former chief of police in a small Texan town, who is admired and respected much more than the current, politically-appointed, drunken police chief. When a long-time friend is murdered, he starts to investigate. I like it so far and don't know how it will end yet. (Good sign for a mystery.)

Since I also bought the second book at Book People, I will easily read it next. Since it is a signed copy, I am assuming that the author was a featured speaker at Book People, which may be why they had multiple copies of her books, or they are just good.

The second one is entitled The Last Death of Jack Harbin. By the time I finish that one, I will be able to tell if I like these books and would recommend them.

No comments: