An arctic cold front blew through TX on Friday, dropping temperatures precipitously. It was 83 degrees F. in the morning, and later in the day it was 40 degrees colder. We drove to Austin to visit our son DC and his wife AA and their two daughters Avery and Emma. It was also Avery's third birthday!
When I got there, I made soup. I love to make soup, which is not a common occurrence in south TX. (I made it so much in New Jersey when we lived there 1991-94 that oldest son DC told me he'd be glad if he never had soup again when we moved away.) Well, I made enough hamburger vegetable soup (from the old LLL cookbook) that he'll be stuck with for several days.
So we came back to Corpus Christi, and I was excited to try a new recipe for soup tonight. Chuck and I both liked it a lot. I am glad that it also is a vegan recipe--for my two Seattle daughters. It is also from a cookbook that I learned about when I visited them this past summer: New England Soup Factory Cookbook (although we were on the opposite coast).
So I am going to copy the recipe here for Vegetarian Mulligatawny Soup, which is the second good recipe I have tried in this cookbook:
VEGETARIAN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups (16 oz.) canned diced tomatoes (though I used a larger can)
1 can (16 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 16 oz. bag lentils
8 cups vegetable stock
2 cups tomato juice
3 tsp. yellow curry powder
3 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 can (16 oz.) coconut milk
2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 cups cooked basmati rice
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Saute for 7 minutes.
Add the lentils, tomatoes, chickpeas, stock, tomato juice, curry powder, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot, and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk, honey, rice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Makes 12 servings.
Druker, Marjorie and Silverstein, Clara. New England Soup Factory Cookbook. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2007. 101.
Delicious!
When I got there, I made soup. I love to make soup, which is not a common occurrence in south TX. (I made it so much in New Jersey when we lived there 1991-94 that oldest son DC told me he'd be glad if he never had soup again when we moved away.) Well, I made enough hamburger vegetable soup (from the old LLL cookbook) that he'll be stuck with for several days.
So we came back to Corpus Christi, and I was excited to try a new recipe for soup tonight. Chuck and I both liked it a lot. I am glad that it also is a vegan recipe--for my two Seattle daughters. It is also from a cookbook that I learned about when I visited them this past summer: New England Soup Factory Cookbook (although we were on the opposite coast).
So I am going to copy the recipe here for Vegetarian Mulligatawny Soup, which is the second good recipe I have tried in this cookbook:
VEGETARIAN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups (16 oz.) canned diced tomatoes (though I used a larger can)
1 can (16 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 16 oz. bag lentils
8 cups vegetable stock
2 cups tomato juice
3 tsp. yellow curry powder
3 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 can (16 oz.) coconut milk
2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 cups cooked basmati rice
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Saute for 7 minutes.
Add the lentils, tomatoes, chickpeas, stock, tomato juice, curry powder, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot, and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk, honey, rice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Makes 12 servings.
Druker, Marjorie and Silverstein, Clara. New England Soup Factory Cookbook. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2007. 101.
Delicious!
2 comments:
Not actually vegan, but swap the honey with agave nectar or maple syrup and it will be!
Anne, you prompted me to look up "honey and vegans," so I learned more about your thoughts concerning honey. I'm not sure if 2 Tbsp. matters and wonder if the soup would be okay without any sweetener?
Post a Comment