Every day I see or hear something that more or less kills me with delight,
That leaves me like a needle in the haystack of light.
It was what I was born for--to look, to listen,
To lose myself inside this soft world--
To instruct my self over and over in joy, and acclamation.
Nor am I talking about the exceptional,
The fearful, the dreadful, the very extravagant--
But of the ordinary, the common, the very drab, the daily presentations.
Oh, good scholar, I say to myself,
How can you help but grow wise with such teachings as these--
The untrimmable light of the world, the ocean's shine,
The prayers that are made out of grass.
~~Mary Oliver
That leaves me like a needle in the haystack of light.
It was what I was born for--to look, to listen,
To lose myself inside this soft world--
To instruct my self over and over in joy, and acclamation.
Nor am I talking about the exceptional,
The fearful, the dreadful, the very extravagant--
But of the ordinary, the common, the very drab, the daily presentations.
Oh, good scholar, I say to myself,
How can you help but grow wise with such teachings as these--
The untrimmable light of the world, the ocean's shine,
The prayers that are made out of grass.
~~Mary Oliver
No comments:
Post a Comment