Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday Five: Technology



Although you won't know this, I am pre-posting this ten days ahead of schedule, because my husband and I are going to be in Washington State during his spring break (from teaching at a local community college). His parents have very recently moved into a senior living facility. We will be staying at their home, which will not have some of the furniture and supplies like we are used to. What I am dreading is no computer, tv or telephone, which also means no wifi connection. This is showing my dependence upon these technologies.

For this Friday Five, let us explore our use of and desire for such items.

1. What types of technologies, like cell phones, computers, tvs, etc., do you routinely use? How frequently?
I have an old-fashioned sliding cell phone that seems archaic nowadays. I like using the desk top computer at home, which has been unavailable while we traveled to WA State. I most frequently use it and the Kindle Fire various times during the day, since I am retired.

I don't text. My phone makes it difficult, and we don't pay for texting. I am thinking I need to add this to my phone, as my grown children text more frequently than call, especially our third son who rarely ever calls. Maybe this is a way to say better connected.

Use of the Kindle Fire was radically reduced while we were in Bellingham, with no wifi available. It is nice to be back at a desk top computer (See how old I am??) at our friends Terry and Dennis' home. 

2. What social media and/or games do you like to play? How often? On which device do you occupy yourself? Which method of social media do you prefer?
I am addicted to playing Words With Friends, though I am usually the low scorer in each game. I love that "ding" when someone has played, and I need to go and take my turn! This is on my Kindle Fire.

I like Facebook and to a lesser extent Pinterest.

3. Do you separate online activities between home and work? Or is it all the same everywhere?
Since I don't work, I am separated only by access to wifi.

4. Do you have a smart (or I-) phone?
No.

5. What do you wish you had--or do not have--in relation to these devices?
I halfway desire a smart phone and/or an Ipad, but I have the Kindle Fire. The only thing I don't like about it is lack of internet availability in areas where I cannot access wifi. I guess that's where my desire comes in--I'd like to have internet connection everywhere! But since I don't work, that seems silly.

Bonus: What is the difference between your attitude towards these means of technology and a generation older or younger than you?
An obvious difference between my grown children and eventually grandchildren is the use (or non-use) of texting. My children are between the ages of 33 and 23 and are proficient users of technology. I can already see that my 2 year old granddaughter Avery is adept at finding pictures on her dad's Ipad. They'll have to instruct me for future uses, which I may not "get." 

Chuck and I are able to use a desk top computer well, but that seems to be heading to non-existence. Hope my learning ability continues along with the patience of my children in instructing me!

2 comments:

Terri said...

I have found that texting is a good way to stay in touch with my 24 and 21 year old....and then of course a good old fashioned phone call now and then.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

oh yes, the texting makes communication free as calling costs!
which, of course, increases communication! good point :)
do us mcdonald's have free wifi? in canada they do. something to keep in mind - public libraries do as well. and i've noticed many conference locations have it for attendees...
Many thanks Jan for the visit at FHC! just click the words as I've linked them to twitter and pinterest accounts to make it easy :) BLessings !