My friend Joan nudged me back to a Weight Watchers meeting this morning; I am grateful she accompanied me and got me there! (Unfortunately, she left her car parked in front of my house, and got a parking ticket for it pointing in the wrong directions. UH-OH)
Today's meeting subject was entitled "ON YOUR FEET"--about getting up and sitting less. The observation that we often assume that one period of exercise a day means the rest of the time can be spent sitting at a computer, at a desk, in front of a tv set, reading a book. . . . .hit me squarely, as I think that way.
A young man who had lost 83 pounds in the past year shared how he tells himself not to excuse-erize about exercise!
I was struck by the statistics that Weight Watchers compiled in their little handout:
And from here is more to spur me on to move more than my YWCA swim classes, which I do at least four times a week:
"Exercise is the only real fountain of youth that exists," says Jay Olshansky, a professor of medicine and aging researcher at the University of Illinois at Chicago. "It's like the oil and lube job for your car. You don't have to do it, but your car will definitely run better." Study after study has documented the benefits of exercise to improve your mood, mental acuity, balance, muscle mass, and bones. "And the benefits kick in immediately after your first workout," Olshansky adds. Don't worry if you're not a gym rat. Those who see the biggest payoffs are the ones who go from doing nothing to simply walking around the neighborhood or local mall for about 30 minutes a day.
Today's meeting subject was entitled "ON YOUR FEET"--about getting up and sitting less. The observation that we often assume that one period of exercise a day means the rest of the time can be spent sitting at a computer, at a desk, in front of a tv set, reading a book. . . . .hit me squarely, as I think that way.
A young man who had lost 83 pounds in the past year shared how he tells himself not to excuse-erize about exercise!
I was struck by the statistics that Weight Watchers compiled in their little handout:
- "Women who sit for six or more hourse a day have a 37% higher risk for early death (men have a 20% higher risk) than those who sit less, regardless of how often they exercise, according to a study from the American Cancer Society.
- "Here's what happens when you hit the seat: Electrical activity in the legs slows; calorie burn drops to one per minute; and enzymes that help dissolve fat drop by 90%.
- "After two hours: Good cholesterol (HDL) drops 20%; insulin resistance drops 24%, and risk of diabetes rises."
And from here is more to spur me on to move more than my YWCA swim classes, which I do at least four times a week:
"Exercise is the only real fountain of youth that exists," says Jay Olshansky, a professor of medicine and aging researcher at the University of Illinois at Chicago. "It's like the oil and lube job for your car. You don't have to do it, but your car will definitely run better." Study after study has documented the benefits of exercise to improve your mood, mental acuity, balance, muscle mass, and bones. "And the benefits kick in immediately after your first workout," Olshansky adds. Don't worry if you're not a gym rat. Those who see the biggest payoffs are the ones who go from doing nothing to simply walking around the neighborhood or local mall for about 30 minutes a day.
4 comments:
Amen! We've been wearing pedometers for a health inititive at work & I'm astonished at how little moving I do. Even if I walk twice a day I still have trouble hitting 10,000 steps.
Yep, and a friend gave me a pedometer a few years ago, and I could never figure out how to use it! DUH!
Me, too, Jan! Pedometers have come a long way, though. I'm using a FitBit now and it just clips on and does its thing. It records steps, miles walked, calories burned, and stair cases climbed (it counts the "up" ones!).
I got it for the very reason you wrote this post: I wanted to know how active I was -- or wasn't! -- and be able to get more active and know that I was making progress.
Thanks so much for posting this!
I made sure John went to this meeting today. He was inspired and even ordered a fancy pedometer which will download his activity to his computer. it's very eye-opening about how bad sitting is.
John and I repeat the headline from that AARP article from a few months ago: "Sitting is the new smoking."
Post a Comment