Although my father died in 1992, I received a gift from him via my friend Jennifer. I stayed with her last week in Seattle. She told me how she remembered my dad attending her mother's funeral. He came up to her afterwards and told her that he was there for me; that I could not be there and he'd come in my place.
In all these years, Jennifer had never told me that little story before, plus my father never said anything more to me than he had gone to her mother's funeral.
Since I have no siblings with whom to share memories of my parents, I value my friends' memories. Jennifer was one of my high school friends and so knew my parents. And she gave me a sweet gift of remembrance, for which I am deeply grateful.
In all these years, Jennifer had never told me that little story before, plus my father never said anything more to me than he had gone to her mother's funeral.
Since I have no siblings with whom to share memories of my parents, I value my friends' memories. Jennifer was one of my high school friends and so knew my parents. And she gave me a sweet gift of remembrance, for which I am deeply grateful.
3 comments:
Sweet that your Dad did that, and also that your friend shared this memory.
What a special memory! I like your dad and that loving little thing he did to make the world better.
that's a good friend indeed!
Post a Comment