Headquarters for me is the northeast of the United States. Here school is getting back in session, the tease of autumn is in the air (or the hope for the tease of autumn is in the air) and church life is gearing up to full throttle.
One thing I've learned with blogging and social media is that the where I live is not necessarily where you live. And so I want to know what September means to you, in your place of the world and time in your life.
This week's Friday Five is:
What are 5 things that the beginning of September mean to you?
1. HEAT continues! Living in south TX, September does not mean "fall" to me except in activities. No autumnal leaves, no lowering in temperatures.
2. Activities start up again. Classes I teach begin; classes I take start; meetings resume. My husband starts teaching chemistry for nursing students at the local community college.
3. September 2 is the anniversary of our oldest son DC and wife AA--five years ago they got married in Austin--and it was hot! Much joy and happiness.
4. And this September marks the baptism of DC and AA's baby Avery on Sept. 11, here at First United Methodist Church.
5. There is a general atmosphere of things being more scheduled.
1. HEAT continues! Living in south TX, September does not mean "fall" to me except in activities. No autumnal leaves, no lowering in temperatures.
2. Activities start up again. Classes I teach begin; classes I take start; meetings resume. My husband starts teaching chemistry for nursing students at the local community college.
3. September 2 is the anniversary of our oldest son DC and wife AA--five years ago they got married in Austin--and it was hot! Much joy and happiness.
4. And this September marks the baptism of DC and AA's baby Avery on Sept. 11, here at First United Methodist Church.
5. There is a general atmosphere of things being more scheduled.
Bonus: What's one thing you could do without?
As mentioned in #1, it is too hot here. Although I moved around a lot, I usually lived in northern climes, like in WA State since 10th grade. The advent of cooler weather and shorter days indicate the start of school and advent of autumn and then winter. I think that's why September is my most difficult month to tolerate in south TX.
As mentioned in #1, it is too hot here. Although I moved around a lot, I usually lived in northern climes, like in WA State since 10th grade. The advent of cooler weather and shorter days indicate the start of school and advent of autumn and then winter. I think that's why September is my most difficult month to tolerate in south TX.

6 comments:
Avery's baptism! Yeah!
The top part of Texas is sick and tired of the heat too. It is miserable. I do not want to even look at fall stuff.
I do love the change of seasons that we get here in PA. The flip side is what I miss about TX: the long growing season. Blessings on Avery's baptism day!
How exciting to have Avery's baptism coming right up!
I'll add my blessings on the Baptism. And my sympathy with the heat. We're smack in the midst of the hot season here, too.
When I was in Florida for 10 years, the changing of the seasons is what I ended up missing most.
Thanks for playing and blessings on the baptism!
What a great season on anniversaries for you. I love how Kathryn was aware of the varieties of experiences of September, and your post a reminder that even in the same hemisphere "autumn/fall" is very different at various latitudes. Thanks.
Post a Comment