Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Not alone

Last week Mad Priest posted this nagging image on his blog; it can be taken either positively or negatively.


While I was suffering through so much pain recently, I kept remembering those eyes--as a symbol of God/Love who is always present. Sometimes we can glimpse more and even feel the presence of something, like a warm Labrador Retriever. Other times, there just seems to be emptiness. Holding onto the word or memory helps, especially through friends, family, meditation, and taking one step at a time.

I try to remember that the ABSENCE of God is actually the PRESENCE of the Holy One. That piece of wisdom is from Karl Rahner via Father Makothokat, a professor at Oblate School of Theology. How grateful I am for that insight, which helps me to go on.

~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday I went to see the rheumatologist recommended by friends. He spent an hour with me and then sent me for blood tests, a bone scan, and x-rays. I meet with him again next week to learn the results of these tests. I am staying on the Prednisone (steroid) that my family practice doctor prescribed (again) last week, and so am moving around and am feeling optimistic.

I appreciate all of you who have been supporting me through thoughts, prayers, comments, and suggestions. You help me to sense the presence of that Dog/God!

4 comments:

altar ego said...

Holding you in the light, dear friend!

Sherry Peyton said...

praying every day dear Jan

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great appointment, so glad you have seen the rheumatologist.

Bad Alice said...

I'm glad you're getting some good medical attention - seems to be going in the right direction.