Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Let prayer happen!

"Mary’s understanding of her nothingness is also saying something about you. Your worthiness is given. It is not attained. It is God in you searching for God. It is God in you that believes and hopes and cares and loves. There is nothing that you can take credit for. It is something you just thank God for!

"Eventually you will not be inclined to say, “I prayed today.” Rather, you will want to say, “Prayer happened today—and I was there!” Whatever you do in communion is prayer. When your mind, your heart and your body are all present; that kind of full presence is automatically prayer. At that moment God is able to use you and speak to you.

"I believe Mary is the model for being used by God. And we, like her, are just standing here saying, “Let it be done unto me” (Luke 1:38). All we can do is let it happen."

~~Richard Rohr

Adapted from an unpublished talk given in Tucson, Arizona

1 comment:

ROBERTA said...

This is a very cool quote! I love Mary:)