Saturday, May 14, 2011

I am hoping!

Due to the insistence and help of friends, I have an appointment with a rheumatologist in two days--on Monday. I keep thanking God for my friends' intervention. Having a semi-diagnosis and an appointment with a specialist give me hope.

I checked out three books about rheumatoid arthritis from our public library today. I latched onto the phrase from a scientist that is hard to let go of--80% of people suffering from RA are partially disabled within 12 years. That is a frightening prospect.

"More than 80 percent are partially disabled within twelve years after the diagnosis of the disease, and 16 percent are completely disabled. Median life expectancy is shortened an average of seven years for men and three years for women." (26)

Lee, Thomas F. Conquering Rheumatoid Arthritis. NY: Promethius Books, 2001.

Could that statistic be changed ten years after the book's publication?

So I am trying (again) to stay in the present:
  • Am I safe right now? (yes)
  • Who is in charge? (God)
  • Who is with me right now? (God)
In another book about RA, I found this wonderful quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"What lies behind you, what lies ahead of you,

pales in comparison to what lies within you."

Koehn, Cheryl et al. Rheumatoid Arthritis: Plan to Win. NY: Oxford University Press, 2002. xiii.

I am grateful for supportive friends and family. You help me see God within you and within me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

And remember, Jan, 'with God all things are possible'. Advances are made every day - stay positive - I'll remember you in my prayers.
Andie

Fran said...

Jan I am really praying for you... as Andie said, stay positive.

Sending lots of love and prayers your way.

Sherry Peyton said...

I did not know Jan. I am certainly praying for you and know that the Doctors will offer you much assistance. My love and prayers are with you.

Unknown said...

Ten years later, there are meds they didn't imagine, it is changing that fast. I try not to pay attention to the life expectancy figures, because they must necessarily include people who did not get treatment in a timely fashion, or treatment that was actually helpful.
If the diagnosis is confirmed, look for the newest books you can find. The information gets out of date unbelievably quickly. Even the book I read three years ago (very helpful) is now six years old and behind where the science is now. I did find it very encouraging, so here's a link.

altar ego said...

Fear not! I'm not an official angel of God, but I'm going to quote the angels that bear that message to God's servants so often. As Songbird says, the results of research and changes in medicine are a constant source of improved treatments and outlooks. We are also learning so much about how our nutrition and general self-care impact such things. There are many reasons to hold hope in your heart and in your bones. My prayers abide with you always.

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Dear Jan,
There are over two hundred types of RA. Please don't focus on the stats( although I know that is easier said than done.)
When I was first diagnosed I was terrified and asked the consultant if I would eventually end up in a wheelchair as this was my greatest fear and he said NO ! My hands and feet are not a pretty sight but I am used to that now ! It took me two years to accept that what I had was not going to go away but you do get remission.
I gave up work four years ago and I am 56 this year, having had the RA since the age of 40.
I see the consultant every 6 months and life is GOOD. The worst thing is the fatigue but I made myself swim and that helps a lot. The mental battle is one you can and will win, even though you will not believe this at this moment- so I am thinking and praying for you for Tuesday and beyond. Brave heart take care and Blessings.

Terri said...

I have no advice or words of wisdom...but I will pray for you and continue to pray for you....

Katherine E. said...

Loved reading these comments from your blogging friends, Jan. So much wisdom here! You are in my prayers, as always. All of life is gift.
Love,
Katherine

Ellie Finlay said...

Dearest Jan, I think mine is just garden variety osteo-arthritis but I, too, am falling apart at age 61 so I can pray for you with real solidarity. I have a complete physical scheduled for next month so I should find out more then.

It's really hard to lose one's ease of mobility and all around vigor. I know. I do promise I will keep you in prayer. Love to you.

Fran said...

Just checking back, still praying and sending lots of love.

Anonymous said...

Jan, I've linked here from another site, not intentionally, but I feel that I need to share this with you.

I've studied that RA sufferers can be greatly helped by dietary change and nutritional intervention to help the body normalize it's "haywire circuitry." Some have seen their disease go into complete remission.

I would encourage you to check out some of the work by life style physician, Dr. Joel Fuhrman MD who has been able to help many people.

He is on the web, and has also written a book called "Eat to Live," where this is addressed starting on page 169.

I realize this is different than the standard medical intervention with drugs, and it is thinking outside the box, but you seem like a person who does this anyway, and would be open. Why leave any stone unturned?

My prayers are with you also, Jan.
So sorry that you are hurting.

Becky.

Jan said...

Becky, thanks for your long comment about diet. It is very serendipitous that you mention that book--an older man that works with my husband at Habitat for Humanity highly recommended that very same book. In fact, it is arriving TODAY from Amazon! After my doctor's appointment yesterday, I wondered about it, as he told me not to worry about diets except a healthy one, but your comment spurs me on. Thanks.

AND THANK YOU to all you dear friends for your support, encouragement, and prayers.