Saturday, November 13, 2010

Stuff and things

"What's going on?"
"Not much."
  • As my oldest son DC would say, "we're in a holding pattern," waiting for the baby to arrive. DC's wife AA will probably have little Avery Elizabeth before Thanksgiving.
  • I posted this quote on Facebook today and like it so much that it's going here, too:
God makes three requests of his children:
Do the best you can, where you are, with what you have, now.”

~~African-American Proverb quotes
  • Sherry is always wonderful about posting interesting links on her blog A Feather Adrift. Her link to Roger Ebert's blog hit me into my introvert soul; I identified with much that he wrote. "Ebert’s post is about being an outsider, no matter how defined, and loneliness. It’s a powerful post. He wrote in response to hundreds of comments on an earlier post found here." (Sherry)
  • I am concurrently reading two books about vegetarianism; both are written by novelists about their real-life experiences (and research). They are easy to read, but difficult to cope with as a carnivore.
  • With Kingsolver's emphasis on local produce, I finally went to our local Farmer's Market this morning, which had about 4-5 vendors on this Saturday morning. The produce was more colorful and healthier than what is seen in the supermarket. If I bring an egg carton next time, I could purchase fresh eggs!
  • Since returning from WA State a week ago, we have been having hot and humid weather down here in Corpus Christi, TX. For the past few days, the high temperature has been around 85 degrees F. Finally a cold front made it through here, so today the temperature got up to 59 degrees F. So nice!
  • And I keep remembering that famous quote of John Wesley, known as "John Wesley's Rule":
Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as you ever can.


5 comments:

Terri said...

so exciting - the pending birth of the little one!!

altar ego said...

I love Barbara Kingsolver. I started Animal, Vegetable... but then got interrupted and haven't returned. Good book. Good quotes here, too.

PS-- the chowder recipe is posted on the blog.

Billie Greenwood said...

Kingsolver is great. I think vegetarianism is really the next step I need to take for personal growth.

The Bug said...

I think that I could be a vegetarian, except for two things: I think Dr. M would really struggle to get enough protein & it would require me to cook. And that would be a big change around here LOL!

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Love these two Jan and hope you can visitmy blog once in a while.
Blessings and peace