Baillie by the new couchBaillie is 14+ years old. She is blind and deaf and gets confused at times. In the past few days she has gotten lost in our backyard. One day she was wandering around in a corner, bumping into a tree stump. I finally had to pull her back to the deck, where she realized her location and could navigate herself to the backdoor. However, today she went in the wrong direction from the backdoor and fell off the (low) deck. I had to guide her back.
Usually Baillie walks tentatively and slowly around. She also sleeps a great deal of each day. She still seems happy, unlike our last cocker spaniel Bagel who whimpered in one place all day in the kitchen, because she could not see or hear. Bagel was put to sleep as she could not cope with her blindness and deafness. I am glad that Baillie is more cheerful.
Usually Baillie walks tentatively and slowly around. She also sleeps a great deal of each day. She still seems happy, unlike our last cocker spaniel Bagel who whimpered in one place all day in the kitchen, because she could not see or hear. Bagel was put to sleep as she could not cope with her blindness and deafness. I am glad that Baillie is more cheerful.
4 comments:
She is so beautiful (especially for a 98 year old!
When I was in vet school a client brought in their aging poodle...which had mature cataracts. No sight. We had a hard time convincing them their dog was blind....she went outside, up and down the steps, never stumbled, never got lost. She had adapted. It helped that the couple did not change furniture etc around.
She sure has great "parents" to help her though this.
What a sweet dog.
I have a dog (Roxie) who will be 13 in March...and she is having a hard time seeing,not yet blind, but getting there. I really understand this, and the gratitude that comes with a dog who can adapt and doesn't suffer from the age related issues...and the compassion we have to offer for those dogs who are in pain and do suffer.
Post a Comment