Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bellingham, WA in fun and sadness

With recent trips to Seattle, where I am again, and Canada, my blogging has been infrequent, and my visits to other blogs even less. Suddenly I am learning that Fran and Jaliya are taking breaks, and I wonder who else. . . . as I seem to be doing the same.

We had a busy three days in Seattle, doing lots of sightseeing and even saw a play on Capital Hill where the daughter of one of my oldest friends was the star. It was good to see Dennis getting a little more active, though he still gets fatigued easily. My kids had two long, long visits with him on Friday and Saturday, which seemed to energize and tire him at the same time. I'm so glad they love him and Terry.

Now we're at CB's parents' house in Bellingham, WA. Today is the summer family barbecue and reunion of all CB's siblings and their children. One great-grandchild is coming; she's one year old. CB has two sisters and one brother, so this is a large clan gathering. We bring nine, counting MJ's boy friend CS. Approximately 25 will be here.

After a dinner at Chuck's sister's house last night, I was suddenly and unexpectedly struck with grief, having none of my own family around at all. Since I was an only child, my dad was an only child, and my mother had just one sister, I have no family left in Bellingham. (You may recall that I have a distant cousin Margaret in Calgary, Canada.)

I am sad that my children's partners will only know CB's family, hearing stories of their past. Yes, I can tell a few tales of my family, but the children are not seeing the places or anyone else remembering them, like CB's siblings. It's just the way it is. This is reality, which I am re-learning to accept. . . .and am surprised that I have this to do all over again.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Hugs and love to you!!!

Terri said...

Grief hits us out of nowhere...hugs to you!

Jaliya said...

<< dumbfounded >> ... I'm taking a break? No, Jan ... I'm still here ... :-) ... pretty dumbfounded these days as a rule, though ... must be the heat ... :-D

I share your feeling of being orphaned of a small family ... If it weren't for one huge-hearted cousin of my mother's, I'd be pretty much unmoored from my relatives.

Loss sucks ... Love is its balm.

Bless xo

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Hugs, Jan.

Jan said...

Thank you, dear friends.