Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dying

From e-cards at ExploreFaith.

I just learned that the 41 year old daughter of a good friend died. The daughter, Karen, had a life-long struggle with drugs and alcohol. No reason for the death was stated.

Karen's mother, my friend, taught three of my four children kindergarten. Margy was the first person I ever observed listening with her whole being; she was one of those people who did not finish phrases or sentences for someone else, but waited. She died of ovarian cancer about ten years ago. All I can think is that Margy and Karen are together in the peace and love of God--in the reconciliation they needed.

Today is a day to ponder death as I am remembering that my father died seven years ago. This afternoon I am going to my next door neighbor's funeral. She was an elderly lady, born the same year as my dad, who lived in that house both times we lived in our house (1987-1991 and 1994-present) and before that even. While I am there, CB is singing in the choir for a funeral at our church, at a different service.

And now Margy's daughter is gone. When I was 41, my children were young (1-12 years old), my parents were still alive, and things seemed secure. I am sad Karen couldn't feel the same way through much of her life.

As a side note, I am comforted that some of my friends and I pray for each other's children. I believe love is a prayer, so we all are joining God's prayer when we love, whether we know it or not.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm praying for you Jan.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh Jan, this is a lot of grief-related events. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with so much at once.

Gannet Girl said...

I am so sorry, Jan. Heavy burdens for you today.