Thursday, December 26, 2013

Just Keep Swimming!




My friend Nancy gave me a beaded bracelet with a fish for Christmas. It is entitled the "Just Keep Swimming Bracelet," which struck me as being odd at first. A day later, in our very quiet house, it is helping me to focus.

With our children back in their homes (in Austin and Houston, TX and Seattle, WA)--and at work today--I can see beyond the holiday to my commitment of finishing my master's degree in theology, a mind-boggling task for me in narrowing down topics to even begin. Nancy's gift is a physical reminder to keep on keeping on.

The bracelet came with this little aphorism:

"Life can be as hard to live as swimming against a tide. But at the worst of times, if you will just remember to keep swimming, sooner or later you will develop the ability to swim through life like a fish through the ocean."

It is too easy for me to sink into a muddle of doubt followed by old patterns of denial. My piano teacher points out that I start such waffling when I make a mistake while playing, which throws me so completely off-track that I am lost and can't find my place. This is a huge awareness to help me learn a new pattern of behavior. I think the fish will remind me!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'm glad you like it! I was thinking of your master's degree when I selected it, so I'm glad you saw that, too!

(Hint, hint…It might also be a nice birthday present for me, Pisces that I am.)