Saturday, August 10, 2013

Platitudes

Platitudes can seem trite and meaningless. . . or so obvious that an idiot would get it, thus being  "beneath me." I remember going to Al-Anon in the 1990's and feeling that their sayings were "platitudes," until I tried to live them and saw that they helped me. But it was not a speedy process and took my desperate need to change my thinking and behavior to get me to try new ways of reasoning and find out they did help me to grow in a different direction.I had to learn that the only person I can change is myself and not other people, places, and things.

I think people reject religion because they hear platitudes. "God is Love" is what I believe, but it sounds so ordinary that it could appear only as words, with no deeper meaning. I am blessed to sometimes experience that and know the reality, which is why I liked this quote by Aldous Huxley:


I keep learning the truth of that statement, especially though the practice of Lectio Divina each week. Sitting in silence, pondering only a few verses (1-4) of scripture, brings forth greater understanding--often in unexpected ways.

Reflection through thinking, writing, other forms of meditation and art facilitate deepening in knowledge. Finding and taking the time can be difficult, but is well worth the effort to see beyond the superficial meaning of almost anything.

1 comment:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

thanks for this Jan! as i spend a week of vacation at home... doing art and pondering life... if one more person says to me... "you'll meet someone if you quit looking" i'm going to barf.

that might be true. but when you are lonesome for companionship... argh...

anyhoos... the time at home to paint is a gift. a luxury even... knowledge will come.