When I went to the 2013 Summer Institute at Oblate School of Theology a few weeks ago, I felt very nostalgic walking the halls of the Theology Building. When I walked around the second floor, where many of my classes had been held, I found this wreath on an office door.
The wreath was to honor Father Heemrood, who had been a professor of Old Testament for decades. He was a knowledgeable and very kind man. Fr. Heemrood died several months ago.
I was greatly touched that this small seminary would honor one of their professors in this way. It fits with the Hispanic culture of San Antonio, TX.
Taking this picture with my new Iphone prompted me to show it to the Dean of Continuing Education at the dinner that night. She had been a fellow student with me when I first began attending Oblate in 2001.
I always hate to intrude upon people, especially those in charge of major events, at such busy times. But discussing Father Heemrood brought our discussion around to past professors and our families, plus all the additions to the OST campus.
Suddenly Rose asked me if I had ever graduated and whether I had had enough classes to do so. I replied that I had enough classes, but that too much time had passed, so I did not think I was eligible to finish my degree plan--for a Master's in Theology. However, she reassured me that it might be possible and tht she would broach the subject with the Dean.
All that happened this past week, so that I was scheduled to call the Academic Dean on Monday morning. When I did so, he was kind and attentive, asking some questions and commenting on my academic record. Then he offered an extension for me to finish the final papers (a thesis or three scholarly papers) by May 2014!
All this was totally unexpected and almost unbelievable (from my perspective)! Until this happened, I thought I had given up the idea of finishing this degree, being content to appreciate all I had learned in the process of attending those many classes where I drove to San Antonio from Corpus Christi once or twice a week. Out of the blue, this seemed to come about. I find it amazing.
So by the end of the month, I need to have topics to present to the Academic Dean. I've already been assured by RevGal friends that they are praying for me. I am also praying for assistance, even though I already have seen evidence of assistance towards this goal.
The wreath was to honor Father Heemrood, who had been a professor of Old Testament for decades. He was a knowledgeable and very kind man. Fr. Heemrood died several months ago.
I was greatly touched that this small seminary would honor one of their professors in this way. It fits with the Hispanic culture of San Antonio, TX.
Taking this picture with my new Iphone prompted me to show it to the Dean of Continuing Education at the dinner that night. She had been a fellow student with me when I first began attending Oblate in 2001.
I always hate to intrude upon people, especially those in charge of major events, at such busy times. But discussing Father Heemrood brought our discussion around to past professors and our families, plus all the additions to the OST campus.
Suddenly Rose asked me if I had ever graduated and whether I had had enough classes to do so. I replied that I had enough classes, but that too much time had passed, so I did not think I was eligible to finish my degree plan--for a Master's in Theology. However, she reassured me that it might be possible and tht she would broach the subject with the Dean.
All that happened this past week, so that I was scheduled to call the Academic Dean on Monday morning. When I did so, he was kind and attentive, asking some questions and commenting on my academic record. Then he offered an extension for me to finish the final papers (a thesis or three scholarly papers) by May 2014!
All this was totally unexpected and almost unbelievable (from my perspective)! Until this happened, I thought I had given up the idea of finishing this degree, being content to appreciate all I had learned in the process of attending those many classes where I drove to San Antonio from Corpus Christi once or twice a week. Out of the blue, this seemed to come about. I find it amazing.
So by the end of the month, I need to have topics to present to the Academic Dean. I've already been assured by RevGal friends that they are praying for me. I am also praying for assistance, even though I already have seen evidence of assistance towards this goal.

5 comments:
This is fantastic! I'm with you all the way!
Such wonderful news!
I am so pleased for you Jan. I know this means a lot. My friend in Chicago is starting his Master's degree at the CTU. He's sending me his textbook lists for each semester so I can buy some of the books for my own study. It was my dream to do this, and I'm just so glad you have a way to finish now!
A wonderful surprise! Wow - I am soooo happy for you, Jan.
And I will also be praying for you as well.
Oh how exciting! Good for you!
Post a Comment