Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Five Fun

Here are a few fivers to get you ready for whatever is next in your day (or keep you procrastinating for awhile before you do what you need to do.)

1.  If you were a character in a children's storybook, which storybook would it be, or what character, and why?

One of my favorite picture books is Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney. When Miss Rumphius had many adventures when she was a young woman, but when she was older she became the crazy "Lupine Lady" by sowing lupine seeds wherever she walked. The flowers flourished and bloomed all over in the springtime each year. She did this because her grandfather always told her that she "must do something to make the world more beautiful." She eventually discovered this little way to bring beauty to the world. I would like to do that, too, but probably not with flowers.

I like to give this book to children 3-7 years old, especially when a new baby has arrived in his/her home.

2.  What is something you are looking forward to this weekend?
Most of all, I am looking forward to lunch today with my first friend in Corpus Christi, whom I met at a La Leche League meeting before our first children were born in 1979. Eventually, we both became La Leche League Leaders and have remained friends all these years. Sadly in recent years, we only see each other once a month or so, because Lisa returned to teaching when MJ was a little girl. In fact, my daughter MJ was in Lisa's 4 year old class and later in her first grade class!

Walking with a friend this Saturday morning, which has been a tradition since 1996. We didn't see each other last Saturday because I was in San Antonio and Austin.

3.  If you had an invisibility cloak for a day, how would you use it?
I am still thinking about this one!

4.  I "lose" my keys all the time.  In fact, sometimes I lose them several times a day.  It is so bad that a member of my congregation gave me "instantly remember where you left your keys intense memory-stimulating mint gum."  Is there something you misplace or lose often? 
Keys like you and my reading glasses! I have multiple pairs of reading glasses around the house, but always lose them. In contrast, my husband Chuck has three pairs which are kept in designated places, so he always finds a pair! (And I don't follow his example. . . . .)

5.  Use the following words in a sentence:   ladybug, rowing, diner, sloth, and knitting. 
The gray sloth was rowing by the diner on the dock when he saw that the ladybug was knitting a  life preserver.

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Ah, isn't it frustrating to live with people who always know where their things are?

But just think how much excitement we bring to their lives!!!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Love your creative use of the words. We all need a friend to knit us a life preserver at one time or another.

RevAlli said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who loses her glasses!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

The book ~ of course, it's the book question I'll discuss. We've already shared our love of this book (in March 2012), so I'll pick out one of my posts about it you may not have seen yet:
http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/fifteen-books-7.html