I had not realized that the Korean War was called "The Forgotten War" until I saw the Rose Bowl Parade this morning. I was struck by the float sponsored by the Defense Department to commemorate the Korean War ending 60 years ago.
Go here for more pictures and the story about this being built.
I pay attention to info about the Korean War, because my father served there in the First Marine Division until he was wounded. He refused to be carried off until his men were safe. That is why he was awarded the Silver Star and the Purple Heart medals.
Due to his convalescence, he was at the Bremerton Navy Base when I was born in 1950.
He never talked about combat. Perhaps that is why he refused to have any fire arms in our home. I respect him for his service and for that action. He died ten years ago at the age of 79.
Go here for more pictures and the story about this being built.
I pay attention to info about the Korean War, because my father served there in the First Marine Division until he was wounded. He refused to be carried off until his men were safe. That is why he was awarded the Silver Star and the Purple Heart medals.
Due to his convalescence, he was at the Bremerton Navy Base when I was born in 1950.
He never talked about combat. Perhaps that is why he refused to have any fire arms in our home. I respect him for his service and for that action. He died ten years ago at the age of 79.

2 comments:
It's also been striking to me that it's the Forgotten War here, when more napalm was used in the 3 years of the Korean War than in the entirety of Vietnam War.
Anne, I never knew that. Your grandfather was not part of that, so I am not thinking of that horrendous act of war now.
Post a Comment