As
we take a breather from the busy weekend of Sunday/Christmas Eve,
Christmas Day, it's time to reflect on the past year. It's hard to move
out of this holiday season with its delights and celebrations. Here at
our home, we've barely finished the eggnog. The tree is still up and our
cats delight in knocking off the lower (unbreakable) ornaments. As we
are rounding the final turn on the year 2012, I hope you'll play along
with these questions. :)
I haven't found the time to play a Friday Five for weeks, even when I hosted it last week, so I am glad Deb came up with this fun idea!
RECYCLE:
1. What is some "old news" this year that you'd like to repeat for 2013?
Sticking with the Weight Watchers program, which helped me to get back to healthier eating again.
Sticking with the Weight Watchers program, which helped me to get back to healthier eating again.
2. What "new thing" have you started that you want to keep going in 2013?
Piano lessons! I never practiced as a child, and now I am finding it to be fun! I loved learning to play "Away in the Manger" for Christmas and Epiphany.
Piano lessons! I never practiced as a child, and now I am finding it to be fun! I loved learning to play "Away in the Manger" for Christmas and Epiphany.
RE-GIFT:
3.
What event, experience or gift would you just as soon "Return to
Sender"? Maybe it was a disastrous sermon, a congregational kerfuffle, a
vacation nightmare, or your own mis-step. It can be funny or sad.
Not continuing to work on the church library after it was painted. It still needs art on the walls and perhaps one wall painted a more vibrant color. Books have to be re-shelved and some removed that are outdated and in poor shape. Hoping to start over in 2013!
Not continuing to work on the church library after it was painted. It still needs art on the walls and perhaps one wall painted a more vibrant color. Books have to be re-shelved and some removed that are outdated and in poor shape. Hoping to start over in 2013!
REFLECT:
4. Share the brightest bit of joy that was a part of your year.
Always my granddaughter Avery and my family, but the most hopeful and happy thing going on for me is the absence of pain and RA symptoms for the past 6-8 months, which I hope will continue with the meds I am taking.
Always my granddaughter Avery and my family, but the most hopeful and happy thing going on for me is the absence of pain and RA symptoms for the past 6-8 months, which I hope will continue with the meds I am taking.
| Yearning for God post on Happiness |
![]() |
| Jan and Chuck: 41 years of marriage |
BONUS:
Share a recipe! I'm in the doldrums and need some healthy eating options
for my menu planning. Soup, stew, main dish, side dish or a healthy
dessert - any and all are welcome!Here is a recipe (shared with me by my friend Katherine) that I re-tried last week for my vegetarian daughter MJ's visit here; it is easy and delicious (though not a vegan recipe).
Black Bean Chilaquile from Moosewood Restaurant
1 cup chopped onions
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (15 ounce can, drained)
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp salt
1/ tsp ground black pepper
2 cups rinsed, stemmed, and chopped Swiss chard or spinach
2 cups crushed baked tortilla chips
8 ounces grated fat-free sharp Cheddar cheese
2 cups prepared Mexican-style red salsa
Preheat oven to 350.
Saute onions inoil for about 8 minutes, until translucent. Stir in tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime juice, salt pepper and continue to saute another 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, blanch he greens in boiling water for 1-3 minutes, until just wilted but still bright green. Drain immediately and set aside.
Prepare an 8x8 casserole dish with a light cooking of vegetable spray. Spread half of the crushed chips on the bottom.Spoon the sauted vegetables over the chips and sprinkle on about two-thirds of the grated Cheddar. Arrange the greens evenly over the cheese and spoon on half of the salsa. Finish with the rest of the tortilla chips and top with the remaining salsa and Cheddar. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
Casserole order (shortcut):
spray
chips
vegetables
cheese
greens
salsa
chips
salsa
cheese

5 comments:
Thanks for playing! I love the photos with such love expressed in them. :) Your recipe is the second one with beans in it... I am going to try and become a convert to using them.
Peace and joy to you in 2013!
wonderful about your piano lessons! great pics, too; thanks for playing!
Yay...piano!
Pictures and Piano :)
that sounds good. we'll veganize and let you know how it goes.
Post a Comment