I have recently discovered two new mystery writers I like, who have multiple books in their series. In fact I went to the library today and checked out eight books! (They are not due until Jan. 3, so I should have time after Christmas to read them more diligently.)
The first was a book loaned to two other people, one of whom passed it on to me--the first Charlie Moon mystery. I had not heard of these until now, and the author has been writing them since 1994 (one a year). the first one is The Shaman Sings by James D. Doss. I had six of these books in my Amazon shopping cart immediately after finishing that book last night, but I checked at the public library first today, which was the financially responsible thing to do. Now I have deleted them all from the cart. By using the library, I got copies much more quickly, though I must admit I was lucky that so many were on the shelves ready to be checked out. I'm also glad I did not succumb to the temptation of downloading them to my Kindle!Even though this is a "Charlie Moon" mystery, he did not appear until the end, though his Aunt Daisy, an Indian shaman, was in the beginning of the book. There is also a small town Colorado sheriff who eventually meets both of them in solving the mystery. Charlie Moon is a (Ute) Tribal Police officer. Mystery, Indian mysticism and humor are all mixed in to make a good read.
It was a happy surprise that I found the other author, because I was first attracted by the cover drawn by Edward Gorey (1925-2000) at the independent Book People store in Austin. Then I read the employee's blurb about The Sybil in Her Grave, which got me to buy the book. This is the last mystery written by Sarah Caudwell (1939-2000) and was published posthumously. I am only 1/3 through the book but want to read the three others written by her. The hero of these books is Hilary Tamar, a professor Oxford, whose sex is never revealed. The elegance of language is beautiful, with humor and wonderful plots.
1 comment:
The Charlie Moon books sound similar to the mysteries by Tony Hillerman, so I'm sure I'll enjoy them.
Post a Comment