Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday Five: Who or What Makes You Smile?

Mary Beth brought us today's Friday Five at RevGalBlogPals:

So, for today's Friday Five: What lifts you up when you are low or troubled? Who helps you remember that you are not alone, it's getting better all the time, etc.?

Your five responses can be people you know, people you DON'T know, music, places, foods, scripture, surprises, something you do for someone else. It could be a pair of slippers. It could be a glass of water.

1. Mail--snail mail, email, cards, comments on my blog!

2. Baking--I love to bake cookies, so Christmas is a good time to do that. (Though I have not done this yet.) When we lived where it was cold and gray in the NW and in the NE, I baked and cooked a lot.

3. Laughing--I especially laugh when my kids tell me stories and with friends.

4. Phone calls--This is ironic, because I rarely call anyone! But I feel like it is a gift if one of my kids or a friend calls. (So why don't I do it??)

5. Writing the ABC's of gratitude--I learned this long ago at Al-Anon. It is a good thing to do! Once I even did it on this blog, using a different letter for 26 days.

Bonus: I don't care about "Jingle Bells Rock," though it is a bouncy tune.

9 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Wow, me too on the mail. My dear spouse always lets me bring in the mail because he knows I like it. That's from when I was a little, little girl. I'd say, "Mommy, is there any mail for me?!" There never was...

nowadays there is...usually bills. But the endless series of opportunities for surprise in the mailbox, DELIGHT me.

That gratitude list sounds good too. :)

So glad you played. I miss you (which is nuts because I have never seen you...we need to fix that soon!) Happy Christmas!

Sandy said...

I also love getting mail (or messages of any kind, really!)

I'll have to try the ABCs list you mentioned! That may be something I work on for lent this year!

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

The main thing for me is good music ; usually the bounce around hairbrush diva type of stuff or a great cartoon /video that makes me laugh.
My partners jokes !
Nature and landscape
The sun shining
Birds singing
The cat next door when he deigns to pay me a visit !

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Me too on the mail. Shame on me for not sending more out! Baking is one of mine too!

altar ego said...

Let's make it unanimous on the mail! I've been baking the last few days, and it is wonderful therapy. Just made a cheese spread to take to a gathering tonight, and that feels good, too.

angela said...

I'm the same about Jingle Bell Rock, though if someone sang it I'd probably not be able to get it out of my head.

I hadn't thought of mail...but I love getting mail from anyone who writes it by hand. My daughter Ella absolutely loves getting any mail too and does special dances around before opening--and she's three.

Terri said...

now, if we exchanged phone numbers I'd call you once in awhile - I'm better at phone calls than letters or cards...I did that Gratitude ABC thing too...

Auntie Knickers said...

I'm with you on the phone calls - generally like getting them, hate making them, don't know why. Great play!

Jennifer said...

I like everything you like and don't care for Jingle Bell ROck, either.
Happy Advent, soul sister.