Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2011 calendars

I love wall-hanging calendars. I usually have three--in the kitchen, in the laundry room, and in my office. In past years I usually got calendars with pictures of trees. This year I have Asian and Inuit art calendars, plus a Book Lovers one.

When I was in junior high school in Japan, I started writing friends' birthdays on the appropriate calendar boxes on New Year's Day. That tradition continued until a few years ago when I started writing the names on their corresponding spots a few days earlier--at the end of the previous year.

I spent 1+ hours doing this tonight, while CB was at choir practice and MJ was out to dinner with a friend. I really enjoyed doing this, loving each person as I wrote his/her name down. It was fun to write "Avery is 1!" on Nov. 22, 2011. (I only specify ages for my children and grandchild.)

Now that Facebook announces friends' birthdays, this hand-dating is not so necessary, but I like to do it. Besides, not all my friends are on FB.

I know I have forgotten some blogging friends' birthdays, because the only one I wrote on calendars tonight was "Catherine W." who intermittently blogs at Come to the Table. Email me if you want to remind me of your birthday, and I will be delighted to write your name on my calendar.

3 comments:

Terri said...

....but Jan, when is YOUR birthday? mine is posted on FB (Feb. 15)

Jan said...

Thanks, Terri. My birthday is Oct. 25.

Shannon said...

Jan, I have a wonderful "permanent" calendar that goes month by month (illustrated with original "Wizard of Oz" pictures). It hangs near the changing calendar, but carries all the birthdays, anniversaries (and subsequent notes for divorce...) It's handy to have and a lovely record of the history of life shared.